Monday, June 21, 2010

MID-CARD MONDAYS 06.20.2010

THIS WEEK: RAY TRAYLOR
I thought The Big Boss Man was freaking awesome as a kid. He was a big ol' boy, had a gut, looked light on his feet, and loved to upper-cut people. So when I was thinking of mid-card guys for my little experiment to keep my blog updated, Da Boss Man was one of the first guys to pop
in my head.

To me, the peak period of Ray Traylor stuff was when he was working face as The Big Boss Man in the WWE. He's a great big guy, that you know can do some damage, but his selling is outstanding. I remember when The Mountie was shocking him with the cattle prod - I thought he was really dying. What? I also thought Papa Shango was magic, get off my ass - I was a kid. Something about the way Boss Man sold made me engaged in the match. Sometimes it was a little over the top, but it worked for me. His comes backs were usually really hot as his body language was so bad ass when it was time to lay down the law.

I think Ray's work in WCW is hit or miss. You can see him doing some fun work with guys like Jonny B. Badd or Chavo Guerrero. But the matches were kind of short and he didn't seem to be in nearly the same shape as he was during those peak years. He was also a victim of name changes and multiple turns. He went from The Big Boss Man to The Boss to The Guardian Angel to Big Bubba Rogers, and I think he even just wrestled under Ray Traylor. The bulk of his stay in WCW was under Big Bubba Rogers and with that character he went from being a member of the Faces of Fear(bad guys) to turning on them to joing the NWO(bad guys) to getting dropped from that group to remain a bad guy. This all over the course of a five year stay. I mean, who'd care after all that?

When Boss Man returned to the WWE with the riot gear attire, he seemed really rejuvenated. He had an Attitude take on a classic character, which worked out really well. His in ring work was looking better and faster than some of his latter day WCW work. I think his pairing with Bull Buchanan was a good one and their team wasn't too shabby.

I've pulled up two videos, the first is a nifty little match with Mr. Perfect. It's in the middle of his feud with the Heenan Family. Mr. Perfect tries to steal the show, but Boss Man does some great work in this. Despite his looks he just has an ability to connect with fans and get them to rally behind him. Today, that's known as the Mattitude Effect.


This second match is when he was working as The Guardian Angel. He had some really fun heavyweight slug fests with Vader. I think this one is better than their PPV match at Bash at the Beach. THE PPV match has some really impressive power moves, but has a really funky ending coming off of Vader's moonsault. This match has a really hot Studio crowd, Bobby Heenan, and better bits between Harley and Vader. Just a really good time.


What's your favorite Ray Traylor memory or match?

No comments:

Post a Comment