Sunday, September 26, 2010

DRAGON GATE USA: UNTOUCHABLE 2010 LIVE EVENT REPORT

YEAH BABY YEAH
The Wife and I walk over to the Congress Theatre ready to rock and roll. About a half a block away I realized we were walking next to Jimmy Jacobs. Crazy. He looked like he was getting pumped up for the show so I didn't feel like bothering him. I really felt like giving him a hug after his "Revealed" YouTube Videos.

Once we get inside the line has already started for Bryan Danielson. We got some THUNDERSTIX and a couple of posters and I got a FREE TICKET to see  LA PARKA the next day at the Congress. I'll be sure to tell you about that when that happens....um today, I guess. WRESTLING!

Let's get to the Bonus Card

DA SOUL TOUCHAZ vs. THREE JABRONIES
I swear I wanted to remember these guy's names. One dude was called El Gringo, I think. But these three fellas were selected from the tryout/seminar that was held earlier that day. Da Soul Touchaz are an awesome group that I've seen before, here in Chicago. I was a little disappointed because C-RED was on the other side of the ring from me, and he's a pretty funny dude. I probably missed out on something. the match was okay. 

The crowd was really into the Da Touchaz, and Willie "Da Bomb" was killer as usual. I love this guy. He murders one guy with a sit out power bomb that looked pretty insane. And his Pounce at the end sent the guy flying into the ropes. It just looked scary as hell. Really good showing for them and I hope they become a part of the company moving forward. The Jabronies were nothing too special and nothing really stood out about them. Other than they got their SOUL TOUCHED!.... what ever that means.


SILAS YOUNG VS. SAMURAY DEL SOL VS. GRAN AKUMA
Silas Young is the AAW Champion. Samuray works here in the midwest, but I've only seen him in a couple of videos online. He looked somewhat impressive, so I think he's fit in really nice with these guys. It's a pretty solid match that had some spots I hadn't seen before. I don't think there were many folks familiar with Samuray but he did get in some really awesome spots and I think he walked out with more fans than he had before. SILAS YOUNG has an awesome finish that I don't think I'd seen him do before. You know that Lucha thing where a guy stands on his head on the top turn buckle? He does that and then pulls his body in really fast and twists so that he ends up bouncing his ass off the top rope and doing a moonsault. It's like Rey's version of the split-legged moonsault that isn't "split-legged". Because he's trying to pull in really fast so he can hit it, Silas has a ton of momentum going backwards and it looks pretty cool. Really fun and quick three way that everyone looked strong in.



ARIK CANNON VS. KYLE O'REILLY
Not really a fan of Kyle O'Relly but I love me some Arik Cannon. I might wonder if his forte is mult-man matches though. There was good story going on here. Some wrestling holds being applied early on. There was one cool moment where some fans were asking Arik Cannon to chop Kyle, so he did. Really lit him up a couple of times. Later when Kyle is coming back he says, "So you guys want chops, huh?" And goes to chop Arik but Arik counters and delivers some chops again. Funny stuff. Arik's twisty brain buster finish looked the sickest I've ever seen it. Just a nasty freaking move that feels like he broke somebody's neck. I was really happy to see him get the win.

INTERMISSION BEFORE THE PPV
I went back out and checked out the 5 dollar bins. Found some All Japan Classics, and some 80's New Japan that I don't need since I've got THE BEST of that Era for that company. There was some North Eastern Wrestling tapes that I wanted to get because I didn't know the company but I think Great Sasuke was involved. My wife keeps asking about seeing BxB Hulk. Did I mention she LOVES BxB Hulk. Well she does. I end up buying the previous two Chicago Shows on DVD, with the plan being that I'm going to have Shingo sign it later.

Once we make our way back to the seats, I notice that Section C, which is opposite the entrance ramp is a ridiculous section. Just some really odd folks showing up and their third row has added like 7 extra seats. Also in the 1 st Row there were two open seats that some guys just walked up from the general admission sections and sat in. I'm telling you this because things happen later.

PPV!
BxB HULK VS. AKIRA TOZAWA VS. MIKE QUAKENBUSH
I'm not sure what happened to Jigsaw as he and Quack were originally scheduled to face Speed Muscle, and Hulk and Tozawa were supposed to have a non-title fight. But instead this went down. It's still a non-title fight. BxB comes out and the girl with him is acting really shitty. She rolls her eyes at his whole routine and isn't even clapping to the beat. My wife is PISSED. She had said before the show started that they needed to get dancers that actually gave a shit and she got the most not shit giving person possible. Turns out it was all apart of an evil plot, because when Hulk finishes she hits him in the nuts. Apparently she's with Moxley, and he comes out and takes her to the back while Tozawa capitalizes. Quack of course rushes in as the third opponent to even things up.

Tozawa is AWESOME in this. I had to boo him because he was a big cheater and BxB Hulk is the mother f'n man, but holy crap was Tozawa funny. Straight up told the ref to "Shut the fuck up" and would count with him when the ref would administer a 5 count. Just hilarious stuff. He definitely had the crowd eating it up. It's a really fun 3-Way and Quack was having lots of fun, but it wasn't a stand-out performance for him. Which isn't saying he was bad or anything, Quack is so consistent it's insane, he just didn't stand out the way Tozawa did. BxB Hulk straight up murders Tozawa with some kicks to the skull just nasty looking stuff before winning. He takes the mic and tells Kamikaze USA he's going to take them out. 

DA SOUL TOUCHAZ RETURN...UNFORTUNATELY 
So the my boys came back out and I got kind of excited, thinking they were gonna call some body out or whatever, AND THEY DID. They challenged anybody from DGUSA to come get some. Out comes BRODIE LEE, who takes them all on at the same time. And beats them. FACT: I was pissed. I came in so excited to see Da Soul Touchaz, and they were awesome. And then Brodie Lee kills them. Fuck that guy. I'll boo his ass any day of the week now. He gets on the mic and says he isn't done, he's coming for a Japanese Man next. My wife pats me on the shoulder and says, "He's coming for you, kick his ass, Jae!" I say, "He beat up Da Soul Touchaz, what the hell am I gonna do?" 

SHINGO VS. DRAGON KID
SO this match was great. But I had a serious fucking problem. Remember that Section C that I told you about. There was some Drunk Teenagers yelling the most racist fucking shit. They were doing the "Love you long time!" stuff, telling Shingo they were sorry he had a small dick. It was fucking awful, and I hadn't heard shit like that since I was a kid growing up. I cannot tell you fucking irate I was during this match. These guys weren't heckling because they didn't like Shingo or anything, they were just being assholes and making fun of them because they were Japanese. When I was a kid, I got teased for looking different. I was the only Japanese kid in my school. People would pull at their eyes and do the "Me Chinese" rhyme, and I tell ya, hearing teenagers do this shit 20 years later gets under my goddamn skin. I know you guys and gals that are reading this came here for a wrestling report, but I have to tell you about this shit. It isn't right, and the fact that I'm sitting here and this other Japanese kid is sitting a row in front of them, while they're doing their best Charlie Chan and yelling "wonton soup" or "Shweet and showah sauce" is ridiculous. Of course, I looked around to see if anyone else gave a shit, but no. No one did. They make this hollow announcement about being a family friendly show and how folks should be respectful, and there's no one there to  enforce it. Which I'll get to later.

This match was awesome, and I can't wait to watch it again on my TV to see what I missed while I was pissed off. I didn't think it was going to be so hot going in even though I like both guys. But I just don't feel like their styles have ever meshed very well in the past. But they really made it work. You've probably seen a match similar to this if you keep  up with DG's show Infinity, as it felt very familiar to me. But it's hella fun to see live. Especially if you're in a section where people aren't being racist assholes. Shingo nails a lariat that looked like it caught Kid right in the face and Kid was his usual consistent self. The crowd had some very pro-Shingo fans, so this was probably a great bout as, he got to do a lot of power spots with the smaller Dragon Kid. It took a couple of finishers, but eventually Kid stayed down. 

Also sometime during this match those guys I mentioned earlier that took those front row seats left. The reason they were empty was because -

JON MOXLEY VS. JIMMY JACOBS
Chicago Street Fight

Jon Moxley comes out, rampaging around the ring, grabs those two chairs that were empty and tosses them into the ring. Those were his, I guess. But either way, I guess those guys aren't getting their seats back. So yay. 

Jimmy Jacobs comes out and he's wearing the Age of the Fall Gear. He's got the bloody Jacket and a huge chain. He had said in his videos that he was going to do something he never thought he'd do again and it looks like this is it. He starts talking about how here in Chicago he hung a man upside down and drank his blood, and the crowd is getting into it. Then he takes off the bloody jacket and throws it at the ring. 

"But that was all in the past. You see, before that. Before the Revolution. Before I fell in love... there was a time when you could say, people would say...I was a little... berserk." 

He then rips off his pants to reveal the fuzzy boots and the HUSS tights. And Shit is ON! They take this through the crowd and fight quite a bit right next to me. Jimmy Jacobs just takes it to Moxley all through the crowd and one guy holds up a chair and Jimmy runs  his head into. They make their way to the ring where Jimmy is still in control. The crowd is loving the Huss stuff. Moxley finally gets the upper hand and starts beating Jimmy down. Eventually he picks up the big chain and rears back to charge Jimmy with it. But then Jimmy reaches into his boots and pulls out two SPIKES. Moxley Charges anyway, misses and gets spiked in the forehead. BLOOD.

This was a really fun match and one of my favorite Jimmy Jacobs matches in recent memory. I really had a lot of fun watching this. Both guys get really brutal with each other, and I highly recommend checking this one out when it finally airs. Jimmy wraps the chain around Mox's throat and applies the choke on him. Yamato comes out and breaks it up to save his Kamikaze USA brother. Then Brodie Lee comes out and apparently the Japanese man he's come for is Yamato. They fight to the back. Moxley still gets the upper hand, and takes Jimmy's jacket and puts it over his head. He then wraps the chain around his neck so that it stays, and proceeds to beat the crap out of with a chair, until Jacobs stays down for a three count.

I was disappointed with the outcome but I can't think of really anything bad to say about it. Jimmy Jacobs was just really awesome in this, and looked really inspired. GREAT MATCH.


INTERMISSION
BxB Hulk and Shingo were both outside during intermission and I finally got my BxB Hulk 8x10 signed. I only need Dragon Kid left out of the seven I've collected. They had more 8X10's but the one's I didn't have weren't at the show so I held off until hopefully the next show. I also saw Shingo and got him to sign my DVD. YAY.

I tried to find some one that looked like they worked for the show, to talk to them about these assholes in section C, but everyone was dressed the same so who knows. I walked over to a guy at the Dragon Gate table and talked to him about it. I asked "Is there anyone I can talk to about doing something about them?"

He responds: "...well... I don't see what we should do about it now...you know...."

Awesome. So now I'm going into the second half of this show pretty much ready to stab somebody. 

As we sit down these assholes take their seats and move it CLOSER to ME. I can feel my whole body tense up and my wife is doing that thing that women do when they know their guy is about to lose their shit. You know, that silent grab of the arm. But then this fifth member to their party shows up. And he's apparently the Dragon Gate fan. Through out the rest of the card there's no more racist shit, and I think I have this guy to thank. The trade off being that he smelled of beer piss, so I had to sit next to that, but I'll take it over people ruining YAMATO vs. Danielson with racist shit. But fuck did I want to bash their faces in.

DRAKE YOUNGER VS. RICH SWANN VS. JOHNNY GARGANO VS. CHUCK TAYLOR
Pretty fun match indeed. The story going in is Johnny Gargano and Drake Younger hate each other. I like Gargano and I really don't like Drake Younger. These are where my allegiances lie. Drake gets taken out big time early on. Johnny has this move he he carries a guy like he's going to do the snake eyes and then tosses you into the second turn buckle. It's a sick move. But he takes it up a notch here and does into the guardrail. I'm telling you right now, I was sitting right there, I saw the impact with my own eyes, Younger took that rail with the side of his head and it was DISGUSTING. So he was was out for most of the match. It was just hellacious, and I hope it got caught on tape. 

Gargano and Chuck decide to be bros and beat up on Rich Swann who is a pretty slick dude. There's two moments where Chuck and Gargano almost turn against each other but to decide to "Hug it Out". Rich makes a big come back and starts getting psyched for something big. I think it's Gargano is lying down, and Rich starts hopping and attempts a STANDING 450 SPLASH. Sadly he doesn't make it and it becomes a 360 Foot Stomp, but holy crap was he close, and thankfully it came off really cool. But yeah, I wanna be there when pulls that shit off. Drake Younger makes his return and hits his spots, and he's bloodied up. I really don't care for this guy, regardless of the ridiculous bumps he takes.

The finish is fun because Gargano goes for the kill and Chuck tosses him off the top rope and hits the Awful Waffle for the win on Rich Swann, I think. Really fun match and I highly suggest checking out Rich Swann.

Even before seeing the last two matches, I'm pretty positive this is already a better show than the last Chicago show.

SPEED MUSCLE VS. CIMA AND RICOCHET
Originally this was supposed to CIMA vs. Ricochet as a tryout match for being a member of Warriors International. I'm really glad this match happened instead because it was really really AWESOME. The first half was like your typical Dragon Gate tag. Speed Muscle was really laying it in on CIMA and Ricochet. But this eventually became Ricochet's coming out party. This guy is sick. He does a Sasuke Special that ends with this crazy no hands corckscrew over the top rope that you can't even imagine until you see it. Just outrageous. Him and CIMA's Corner was on my side of the ring, and there was one really cool moment with us and Ricochet. Twice in the match Yoshino called for  a top rope move and both times CIMA blocked it. On the second time a dude in the front row went "Dam you CIMA!" Ricochet, who's laying on the apron beat up, says wearily, "hey....that's my partner." I love shit like that. 

I seriously thought going into this that Ricochet was the obvious fall guy but his team not only wins but he makes the pin. And holy shit was it crazy. He went up top, and pulled a move I didn't even know was possible. A DOUBLE MOONSAULT. It was INSANE. It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. WATCH THIS MATCH. 

CIMA is incredulous. Doing the finger spin thing and asking Doi and Yoshino "How many times?"

Then CIMA grabs the mic, and I'm pretty sure this could be one of the greatest promos ever. Last time CIMA had the mic he was reading his English from a paper, but he was way more fluent and confident now. First thing he says, "Ricochet...man...What a move!.....Holy SHIT." And so the crowd goes into a Holy Shit chant. CIMA then gives him a ton of praise and is cracking me up. Then Johnny Gargamo comes out to boos, as no one wants him to mess this moment up. 

Gargano tells CIMA that he's had a lot of growing up to do and he's got a long way to go. But tonight he's going to give credit where credit is due and tells Ricochet that he deserves it. Crowd cheers. He lifts Ricochet's hand and everyone is so excited. By the way, I'm reviewing EVOLVE 3 where Gargano fights Ricochet, and I suggest checking it out.

CIMA grabs the mic from Gargano and says, "Johnny Gargano you go backstage now, okay?" And Gargano leaves. I swear I almost doubled over laughing, and I'm now saying this line all the time. CIMA extends a membership to Ricochet and asks him to lead the crowd in an "Uuuuu" chant. Ricochet has now idea what to say right now and just leaves it at "Uuuuu"

You're going to hear about this match a lot, and you're going to hear about Ricochet being "the real deal." Check it out. The guys is just plain out of this world, and I'm really happy for him. Just a great guy and an awesome match.

NON-PPV MAIN EVENT
BRYAN DANIELSON vs. YAMATO

Bryan came out to his new WWE music, much to many of the fans disappointment. You know what they wanted. 

This match was rad as hell. I had heard that some folks were worried Danielson was going to "play it safe" but I assure you this isn't the case. I'm not going to go into too much detail as I think there was just so many cool things about it. But there was some great build ups. For example, Bryan would do some cheating and Bryce would count to 5. Everyone in the crowd would say, "The Line" and Bryan wouldn't say anything. He'd just give Bryce a look. Then really late into the match, Bryan busts out Cattle Mutilation and everyone gets excited. YAMATO makes the rope and Bryce gives the count. Bryan lets go. He's out of breath, beat up, and says" Heeeeeey. I've got till 5." It was the coolest delivery and just a hilarious moment that got the crowd chanting "That was Awesome." Which, I know sounds silly, but it really fucking was. 

There's also a really cool moment where Danielson is going to dive on Yamato but Yamato climbs under the ring and sneaks up behind him. This happens again later, except Danielson is wise to the act and follows Yamato to the other side. When Yamato tries to sneak in, Daneislon drop kicks him off the apron. Yamato flings himself over the railing into the crowd and lifts his hands up basically saying "HA HA No dive for you, come and get me, bitch." But Danielson springs onto the top rope and dives into the crowd after him. AMAZING. 

Just a really fun match, and I feel really lucky to see it live. Danielson went nuts with the elbows and slapped on the Lebell Lock for the tap out. Moxley came out for the sneak attack but BxB Hulk came out for the save. Afterwards Danielson made a great speech to the crowd.

"I'm not big. I'll never be big. I'm not a superstar. And I'll never be a superstar. I'm a wrestler. And I'm proud to be a wrestler.
....
But sometimes wrestling isn't enough. Sometimes you have to fight. And Johnny Moxley, at Milwaukee I'm not going to wrestle you. I'm not going to slap on a wrist lock or an arm bar. I'm GOING TO FIGHT YOU. So. If ANY of you PEOPLE want to see JOHNNY MOXLEY GET HIS FUCKING HEAD KICKED IN, YOU WILL BE IN MILWAUKEE TOMORROW NIGHT!"

Just so much passion it sent chills up my spine. He also made a funny joke about how if everyone would come to the WWE shows and hum "Final Countdown" maybe he could get the music and he'd actually be over. There's a reason why Bryan Danielson is called the best in the world and it isn't just because he can wrestle. It's because he's a real guy with real passion, and I look forward to the day I can cheer him on to his first World Title.

 AFTER SHOW
I had one last 8x10 that I needed signed and it was of Dragon Kid. Guess who was already waiting for me when we hit the lobby? I ran over and got his autograph to finally get it and  he reached out and shook my hand. It was totally a better reward than when I finally saved Princess Peach from Bowser.


FINAL THOUGHTS
I'm still pissed about the way the event staff handle the crowd. The staff aren't obviously the staff as the ushers are dressed the same as you or me. And of course if you talk to some one about, it's met with apathy. I can feel my fingers telling me to type a big angry email to DGUSA about it, but I'm trying to let me head cool.

Regardless of those assholes, I truly  believe this was a better show from top to bottom than the other two Chicago Shows DGUSA has had. The first one might be better but I'd have to watch it again. I think the big difference is the American indy guys really came through and held their own. There's more characters to cheer for and boo outside of the main attraction Japanese guys. Their American counterparts are really stepping up and don't look so out of place in the ring with them.
Didn't get any word on the next time they'd be coming back, which makes me sad, but I really can't wait. If DGUSA comes to your neck of the woods - GO.

2 comments:

  1. North Eastern Wrestling is Michinoku Pro dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't I put that together in my head. I even saw the characters for MICHINOKU on the box. I blame the hoards of sweaty wrestle nerds that surrounded me at the bin for mucking up my concentration.

    ReplyDelete