Sunday, December 26, 2010

THE 2010 DEVIL MAY CARE PURORESU POWER 20 COUNTDOWN!!!!! 5-1

PREVIOUSLY ON THE COUNTDOWN




Before we get into finishing this up, I'd like to thank everyone for sending in their ballots. This was a lot of fun. We also have a winner, some cat named Mike won the contest. I don't think I know for sure who he is but he's getting some free DVDs. Hopefully I can run another contest in the future, as I think it's kind of fun. Also apparently this whole thing has gotten my blog quite a few clicks. So thanks a bunch for checking it out. I hope you enjoyed this. 

MERRY F'N CHRISTMAS, it's the TOP 5. 

#5
SHINSUKE NAKAMURA
(1 #1 Vote, 3 Top 5)
Over the last year and a half, Shinsuke Nakamura has really pulled it together. When Tanahashi went down with an injury, Nakamura stepped up and not only carried the title, but was putting on great fights with a variety of people. His clobbering of Takayama at the beginning of the year is one of my favorite puro matches of the year.

Though he hasn't been winning a whole lot( big losses to Goto, Makabe, Kojima, and Tanahashi) he's been highly reliable and consistent for a good match. It's no wonder he's in the Top 5.
#4

TAKASHI SUGIURA
(2 #1 Votes, 2 Top 5)
Takashi Sugiura is the man. THE MAN. I love him. He received the second most total votes in the poll, but the majority of them were in the 10-20 area - making his total signifcantly less. You guys need to get on the ball. Sugiura has been good all year, in tags, in singles, in everything. He's the most fun GHC champion since Misawa was doing his old Clint Eastwood act, knocking out guys with elbows. 

His battles this year have been immense and if you haven't checked out him against Takayama, Shiozaki, or Morishima from this year, you are a fool. GET ON IT.

#3

KENTA
(1 #1 Vote, 6 Top 5)
Let's face facts: KENTA will always be popular. Something about being Japanese and working Ring of Honor shows automatically give you an American fanbase for life. He's got cool moves, fun intensity, and wears brown and yellow. BROWN AND YELLOW. His history of good fun matches is long and it's because of his reputation built on fights with the likes of Nakajima and Marufuji that people continue to download his stuff. With two Marufuji fights this year and a pretty good title match with Kanemaru, KENTA has had a pretty decent year.

He could face Muhammed Yone and people would still watch it.

#2

HIROSHI TANAHASHI
(7 Top 5 votes)
I honestly think Tanahashi is one of the best in the world. I know that make some of you want to vomit but I will not apologize for it. I think he's got awesome charisma, he executes everything well, and his "epic matches" don't always feel like two guys trying really hard to be EPIC. His matches with guys like Hirooki Goto, Yuji Nagata, Shinsuke Nakamura, have been MOTYC over the last few years, and his matches with the rest of the roster have been pretty solid. Even Tanahashi vs. Jon "Strong Man" Andersen was pretty good from this year. But then again, I'm a little biased. 

Hopefully he ends this little Kojima IWGP Champion charade at the Dome Show. After a run in from a Brody like SUWAMA.


#1

PRINCE DEVITT
(8 Top 5 Votes)
While he didn't get any #1 Votes, Devitt just plain got more. And the majority of them were high. So maybe he wasn't anyone's #1 guy, but he was often a #2 or #3. Dude is just plain popular. Building off his great year last year, Devitt solidified his spot as one of the best Juniors in the World when he finally won the IWGP Jr. title from Naomichi Marufuji. Devitt is a charismatic wrestler who can fly and keep it grounded if he needs to. There are a hundred so-called "hybrid" wrestler's taking up space in the American Independent scene that wish they were half as good as Prince Devitt. He carries an air of legitimacy while not being over the top intense about it (I'm looking at you Kyle O'Reilly and Davey Richards).

He feels organic and fun in a time when wrestler's are often too plotted out and serious. That doesn't mean he can't get intense, it just means it's not a hat he has to wear to get over. 

I fully endorse Prince Devitt as a #1 even though I don't think I voted for him. (Possibly and oversight on my part.) He's a popular guy and one of the most fun pro-rassler's in the squared circle today, in Japan or anywhere else.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
So that was fun. Wasn't it?....wasn't it? I think it's a neat list and while I personally don't agree with some choices that popped up, it is a vote and the majority rules. I hoe that if you're reading this and you didn't get involved that you do get involved next year. Participation is key, and I think the more who participate the more fun the results.

Pissed that Morishima didn't get many votes, but whatever.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the final list and who are guys that you wished were higher. Or guys you wished were sucked into a vacuum and destroyed.

I hope you guys enjoyed the pictures I found, it was fun looking for them. 

Should I do one for American guys? 

No comments:

Post a Comment