Thursday, May 19, 2011

LEARNING OTTO WANZ 4. WANZ HARDER

THE WANZ GOES TO DAS BOOTCAMP

That's right, I'm watching the big German take on Sgt. Slaughter. For perspective, Slaughter had joined the WWF earlier in the year and was feuding with Bob Backlund over the WWF Heavyweight Championship when this match took place in July.


SGT. SLAUGHTER vs. OTTO WANZ 07.09.1983




THOUGHTS:

This is a pretty fun brawl. I love the stalling by Slaughter early on, and how they created a story about who could leave the other out of the ring. The crowd and the announcer really add to the brawling on the outside. The rules seem so stringent that when they start slamming each other into tables, it feels like this is the wildest shit anyone has ever seen.

Slaughter is a really good bump guy and some of his offense looks pretty good, but he gets a little repetitive in the final stretch- almost like he's filling time. I really like his elbow off the apron to a prone Otto on the second rope. For some reason that felt really cool to me.

Besides the brawling and the excitement of the crowd, I really like that there's no round system in play. The other matches I've watched have 3-5 rounds, so there's a break in the action. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Seeing Otto wrestle with out the rounds makes me feel like that's definetly the way to go.

Otto's cross body finish was probably one of the more satisfying finishes of any of the matches I've reviewed. I think this totally fun and worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment