Tuesday, May 3, 2011

LEARNING OTTO WANZ RETURNS!

PART 3: TURNING FAKE JAPANESE
So this was something I started forever ago. I have no idea who Otto Wanz other than he's big, German and ran a promotion in Germany. He's got an awesome collection of opponents, so I thought it would be cool to learn more about this guy who's wrestled some many big names from all over the world.

You can go back and check out Part 1: vs. Fred Ottman and Part 2: vs. Vader if you want to.

Todays match up is from 1988 and is against The Great Kokina, who would become Yokozuna in the WWE. If you're following my blog, you know I've been watching a fair bit of Yoko, and I'm pretty into the guy. I can't say I saw much of anything from him before his WWE tenure, so I'm very interested to see him in a different environment.

Let's get into it, shall we?
OTTO WANZ vs. THE GREAT KOKINA 12/18/1988
PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

The first thing that strikes me is how small Yokozuna is compared to how everyone usually remembers him. He looks to be about Umaga's size in this. He's faster and a little more spry, and his body language is just as good as it is during his WWE days. Seriously, Yokozuna has some of the best wrestling body language ever. Also his hair is down and when he whips it around after getting forearmed it looks tremendous.

Otto does some little things that I really like. This match is a whole lot of nerve pinching and I think Wanz sells the nerve pinch(while in the move) better than anyone. He'll clutch at his arm like the nerve pinch is giving him the tingles, and he'll beat at his chest like he's trying to get his blood flowing. It's really awesome. However, I don't really like how fast he is at getting up when Yoko releases the nerve hold. He just pops right up. It's a selling quirk that drives me crazy and Otto does that kind of stuff in every match I've seen so far.

This one goes a little too long. The stuff before the big finish feels like they've run out of stuff to do and are just chilling to extend the match. The final few minutes are pretty hot though, I only wish the producers didn't go to the sky cam for Otto's offensive flurry. It really kills the impact of the moves.

Overall this is the best Otto Wanz match so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment