Monday, August 1, 2011

ESTO ES LUCHA! REVOLUCIONARIOS DE IWRG 01:09:2011

01.09.2011
I'm trying to get into the lucha libre. I've been watching a couple matches here and there to get my feet wet, and now I'm giving you my first Lucha TV Show review. For the most part, unless a wrestler was on the WCW midcard in the 90's I probably have no idea who they are.

Let's do this.

MAGIA NEGRA & DINAMIC BLACK vs. ETERNO & CARTA BRAVA JR.

The first fall was okay, with some decent work between Magia Negra and Carta Brava Jr. The Rudos(Brava/Eterno) took over with a Power Bomb/Backcracker Combo on Dinamic and a double back cracker on Magia for the pin. Not a big fan of the double back cracker, as it really looked like a double "Arm Cracker" and I don't know why that'd keep a guy down for a 3 count.

The second fall starts off with the rudos stomping the piss out of Dinamic Black's testicals. They drop kick them in the corner and then do a flying double stomp on them. Then they kick Magia Negra in the nuts too. Some how they take over from having their nuts obliterated and hit a Canadian Destroy variant for the pin and the tie.

The third fall is just as poor as the rest of the match, with a botch from Eterno and Magia Negra in the corner, and a "Let's just go home." kind of finish. There's some good athleticism but they put together a pretty crummy match. Pacing was off. Comebacks would happen with no build or really pay off. Just sloppily executed.

Mini Psicosis is told that Kurt Angle doesn't remember beating Sting.
MASCARITA DIVINA & LA PARKITA vs. MINI HISTERIA & MINI PSICOSIS
I don't know the rules, but I thought if the word "Mini" was infront of your name, you'd be a midget wrestler. Maybe someone who actually knows something about Lucha can tell em what that's all about. They're just smaller versions of the real thing? One thing I do know is that Mini Histeria is Rocky Marvin brother to NOAH wrestler Rick Marvin....so there. I know things.

This match is pretty sucky. Mascarita Divina seems pretty athletic and when he gets going it's fun. But it feels soooooooo loooooooong. The first two falls are just a lot of stalling and cracks on Mini Psicosis and Mini Histeria being gay. I don't mind some stalling but at some point you've gotta...you know...wrestle. Also I hate it when people lose a fall after nothing really happening. La Parkita falls to a double leg take down and just lays there until the 3 count. No struggle. You'd think he died from that move.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mascarita Divina again, but I can do with out the others.

BLACK TERRY, DR. CEREBRO & CEREBRO NEGRO vs. EL HIJO DEL DIABLO, YACK, AVISMAN
This is what I'm talking about. Los Terribles Cerebros were in the first match I ever watched from IWRG and they were cool as hell. Yack is basically a Jack Skellington looking dude, which I'm not surprised exists.

The early mat work/counter wrestling between Yack and Cerebro Negro was more interesting than anything that had preceded it on the show. And it wasn't even that great or anything. Black Terry and Avisman kicked it up a notch twisting the hell out of each other. The brawling after the 2nd fall was fun, and it showed a huge weakness in Yack's skill set. He probably shouldn't be trading punches with anyone again. The finishing stretch was hot, and Black Terry was doing some slick stuff with Yack. The ending felt a little flat though. It just kind of happened. I definitely wouldn't mind watching more from all 6 of these guys though.

That's some Eyes Wide Shut lookin shit right there.
TABOO, AMADEUS & NIGMA vs. VENENO, EL PANTERA & TONY RIVERA
I think Los Bizarros stink. The first fall with them taking control was crummy just because all of their offense looks so crappy. They look amazing though. Amadeus in particular has a sick look. He's also the worst. Veneno's karate chop is cutesy but he and the rest of his team are pretty decent. Bad wrestling and poor pace  equals me not giving a crap. Bad way to end the show.

OVERALL SHOW THOUGHTS: Weak ass show. Decent wrestling killed by poorly laid out matches, and poorly laid out matches amplified by crummy wrestling. Thank goodness for Los Cerebros Terribles or this would have been a total crap heap. But I shall not give up on my "Learning Lucha Quest".

If you're a Lucha Librea Maniac, and you've got some current 2011 Lucha you want to pimp to me, DO IT. Let me know where the good stuff is, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall at this point. Any other Lucha wisdom would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I also don't know much about lucha. I occasionally try watching AAA or CMLL, but give up aftera few weeks. I'd be very interested in seeing the 2011 lucha MOTYC. I cannot handle going through all of the terrible matches to find my own. The one thing I know about modern lucha is that I hate the insane clowns. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clowns are awesome. Their hardcore matches vary, but they are really fun against Perros Del Mal.


    Have you watched commando black vs Pollo mask/mask matche Jae? Awesome blood and it's a great visual seeing the crowd behind a man in a chicken suit, he even has his own mini,

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! That match is awesome; it's probably my favorite IWRG match since I started checking them out.

    ReplyDelete