Friday, February 3, 2012

TNA IMPACT 2/02/2012 REVIEW

Here we go. It's been many months since I've watched Impact and I've decided to check in so I know what the product is like that I'm bashing all the time. And who knows, maybe it'll be good. The odds are not in my favor, I know that.

BOBBY ROODE AND BULLY RAY TALK WORDS
Roode and Bully hit the ring and start talking smack on the fans and Jeff Hardy, who they say they've eliminated from competition with a power bomb through the table. Bully is a great talker but I was surprised about how much I dug Roode. I don't remember him being particularly interesting, but he had this Shane Douglas "Franchise" thing going on that I really loved. 

James Storm came out to answer the heels. I really hate the way he says "Sorry about your damn luck" catch phrase entrance. The emphasis on "damn" throws it off and makes it sound extra cheesy. Before he can say anything Stinger comes out to lay down some law. He says Against All Odds is now a four way for the title between Jeff, Storm, Roode, and Bully. Then Storm gets his wish and is booked in TWO matches one against the champ and the second against Bully. Weird.

BUCKING HAM BRAWL NON TITLE MATCH
MAGNUS & SAMOA JOE vs. CRIMSON & MATT MORGAN(c)
So the rules are one team gets to have both guys in while the other must tag in and out. The faces, I guess they're the faces, of Joe and Magnus get to double up on Crimson. Joe and Magnus actually work really well together in a way I didn't expect. Crimson didn't seem to have much of a personality at all but he took an alright beating from Joe and Magnus. Morgan has some horrible clothesline and should not do them ever again. He's got to be one of the least intimidating big men in wrestling right now. Joe and Magnus capitalize on their advantage and score a win on the champs which I would imagine sets them up for a title match. Okay match.

THE BISCHOFF & HIS SON LIKE TO STAND IN THE RING AND TALK SHOW
Looks like El Hijo Del Honky Tonk Man to me.
Bear with me, as I haven't been keeping up with this. Easy E's son Garrett has become a wrestler and E thinks it's stupid. Garrett also apparently has a secret trainer that they know but they won't say who he is. So that they can make it a surprise for later. Garrett has sideburns like one of the Young Bucks which automatically makes him no good to me. This trainer better be Doink or this angle will have been a waste of time.

X DIVISION MATCH
MARK HASKINS vs. AUSTIN AERIES
Austin Aeries is killer in this match. He doesn't do a lot but everything he does has so much show to it that he makes it look important. He feeds great for Haskins too, letting the kid get as much shine as he can, before putting him down. I feel bad for Haskins though. How bad is it that you're hyped up as the home town guy and the crowd chants for your opponent the whole match? But worse than that was the landing on his Shooting Star Press attempt. Could have ended really badly for that guy. Not a great match or anything, but I really enjoyed Aeries' performance.

BOBBY ROODE vs. JAMES STORM
It's a little bit of a mixed bag. There's some good work here to be sure, and the guys cut a pretty good back forth pace. One problem I have is that neither guy seems to use moves as an extension of their character. They both just have a collection of cool things and use them without any real build or motive. And some of the moves they do they just should do. James Storm's back cracker, hurricanrana off the top, and knee drop should all be cut. Roode's spear is another awful one and that's the one that won the match. Both of these guys seem to have a good work ethic but they need to refine what their story is when they're wrestling. Right now it's just "do stuff until one of us wins."

NON-TITLE MATCH
GAIL KIM vs. TARA
Some pretty decent work from both of ladies. Gail Kim could probably stand to tighten it up a little bit, especially if she's going to be throwing forearms, but it's a small nitpick. I was actually impressed by Tara who looks a lot more motivated than the last time I saw her in TNA. I think it's a little odd that the tag champs, the women's champ, and the world champ all wrestled non-title matches against people they're going to be competing against at the PPV. You'd think they'd book some tag matches or something.

BISCHOFF'S KID AGAIN
So Bischoff, Gunner and Garrett are in the ring again and Bischoff says he and his spies(he's got spies Game of Thrones style) haven't seen this mystery trainer in the building so it's time to cut this charade and go home. Then Hulk Hogan comes out and punches Gunner in the face. Apparently he's the trainer. That's weird that Bischoff didn't know Hogan was there, considering Mike Tenay had been hyping the return of Hogan the whole show. 

JAMES STORM vs. BULLY RAY
Storm has some injured ribs from the last match, which means Ray has a nice big target to work on. Bully does a great job at it too, coming up with all kinds of different ways to crush Storm's torso. Storm gives another mediocre performance, with some weak comebacks and some suspect selling. He also has a pretty weak ass superkick for a finisher. What's going on with this guy? I don't get him at all. He's thick, he's got a beard, he should be punching guys in the face not doing back crackers and superkicks. He was even going to do that Kofi Kingston/Christian corner kick counter, except Bully stopped him. His look, character, and ring work don't mix at all. 
He just walked in on Brooke in the shower. YAPPAPI~!

OVERALL SHOW
Hey, this show didn't suck! Some decent wrestling and I got to see some dudes that I'd like to see in the future. I really dug the Joe/Magnus team. Aeries and Bully were MVPs and I'm hoping to see Roode work with some different opponents. 

It also can't be said enough, but holy crap does a good crowd change TNA completely. That London crowd made this highly enjoyable, and is so much better than watching a show that takes place in the Impact Zone. I never want to see that place again. 

There were some flaws, but nothing ridiculously stupid as has been the case in the past. Really the worst part of the show was the Garrett Bischoff stuff and really that stuff wasn't that bad, it just seems like a bit of a waste of a good angle. Seems like they could use that spot for a wrestler that actually has potential to be something great. Unless Garrett has some kind Bret Hart level skills, I can't see his goofy sideburns amounting to much. 

Finally, and this is kind of a biggie, I don't really have a hook to watch for next week. All the faces won, I think, and there wasn't really a question posed to me that makes me want to tune in next week. It's a problem that both RAW and TNA have in that they take for granted that you're just going to watch next week because you're a fan and you've got nothing else better to do.

I guess I'm going to keep going until at least Against All Odds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment