Friday, June 29, 2012

TNA IMPACT 06:28:2012 REVIEW

So I made a remark in my R-Pro review about how they were like TNA(wasting great talent, stupid storylines) and someone said it wasn't very relevant. AND THEN I heard the very awesome Jigsaw wrestled last night, and I decided that I should just watch the show so I can have an appropriate opinion of where the company is right now.


MR. ANDERSON vs. ROB VAN DAM
The early counter pin attempts were...not very good. Slow and sloppy. It's not really Anderson's style and it felt like he just doing it because it was a Rob Van Dam match. The whole match just felt disjointed. They'd kind of move from hold to move to hold without any real rhyme or reason. Nothing built off anything. I don't need a lot of moves or fast action, I just need a good story, and there wasn't much of a story here. Just two dudes messin' around, I guess. Awful chemistry.

AUSTIN ARIES TALKY TALK WITH BOBBY ROODE
I kind of dig this idea of the X-Division champion having an opportunity to give up his belt at the X-Division PPV for a shot at the big boy belt. The fact that it's A Double's idea makes him seem like a really cool guy, who wants to make the title mean something for future X-Title holders. Pretty neat. I also dug what Roode had to say. He did a good job of making his reign mean something and the title belt. For a second I almost believed him when when he talked about Aries not being in his league. There's just an obvious size difference between the two. BUT when Aries got fired up, all that went away. A Double just has an ability that you can't teach, where he just feels bigger. Call it charisma, call it an aura, call it the "It Factor", but Aries, who's height has always been an obstacle, looked like a big dog opposite the champ. Dig it.


THE ADDICT LADY
.... the fuck is this?

RUBIX vs. SONJAY DUTT
Hell's yes. Rubix, who my CHIKARA peeps know as Jigsaw, looked pretty damn awesome. His bumping was solid, his armdrag work was clean, and by the time the match was over, you couldn't stop thinking about him. Maybe I'm biased, whatever, but he totally made the most of the 5 minutes he got. Dutt also looked pretty rad, and the backflip double stomp was SICK. Even though it was a sprinty 5 minutes junior match, it didn't feel like they tried to cram too much into it. A nice easy flow and a solid finish. Can't ask for much more than that, except MORE RUBIX PLEASE.


BULLY RAY vs. SAMOA JOE
The first third was a little weird. Bully looked really soft in everything he did, so him getting control over Samoa Joe seem kind of ridiculous. Things picked up in the middle, when Bully started doing his arm work. It was a smart idea and Taz put over the logistics of such a tactic. The last third was pretty good with some nice bumps from Ray and Joe making a decent come back. Joseph Park coming out and slapping Bully in the face was a fine way to keep that storyline going and the reaction from the crowd was priceless. They just couldn't believe he had the nuts to do it. Joe winning was nice. The last time I watched TNA, Joe and Magnus were together. I miss that pairing.

I liked the post-match stuff with Joseph Park. The character is kind of funny and the crowd totally buys into it, maybe more than anything else on the show. And it's such an easy storyline that it's difficult to muck up. Guy gets bullied, guy finally fights back. Kudos to Park for being able to get fans to get behind him.

MORE OF THE ADDICT LADY
....the fuck is this?

KAZ TALKS TO HOGAN
Hogan made it pretty clear, by trying to make all this clear to the viewers at home, that Kaz is totally going to act like a good guy in the main event but then turn at the last possible moment because he's sneaky. Thanks, brother.


THIS SEGMENT IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY DIRECT AUTO
The lady on the left with the belt said, "I would love to rematch you." PERFECT


RASHAD CAMERON vs. MASON ANDREWS
Something about this didn't feel right. Felt too dance-y. These guys look and move really well, but the flow of the middle was clunky and I think if they scaled it back a notch on some of the spots they could have made some of their stuff look more meaningful. Instead all their spots bleed together and neither guy stands out in their own way.

GUT CHECK: TAELER HENDRIX EDITION
I didn't see her work from the week before.so I've got no opinion of her. I like the whole concept of Gut Check though. I think it's bizarre that it's being used to introduce Joey Ryan. Nothing against Joey Ryan, but he's such an odd dude to be "The Rebel". I guess it makes sense, because if they used a better guy to play the part, no one would believe they'd reject him.

TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH
AJ STYLES & KURT ANGLE vs. KAZARIAN & CHRISTOPHER DANIELS
Such a weird match. I'm guessing AJ should be pretty pissed, but I never felt the HATE. It just felt like him doing his thing with Daniels that they always do. No real passion. This is a time when Angle 100 MPH style worked to his advantage. He was just a wrecking ball and I liked it. Actually it's the first time I've enjoyed Angle in a while and he looked way better than anyone else in the ring with him, which also hasn't been the case in a while.

The finish kind of worked. It would have made more sense for Kazarian to just let Daniels hit him with the chair and be done with it, but whatever. MIND GAMES!

CLAIRE THE PHENOMENALLY PREGNANT ADDICT LADY
...the fuck is this?

OVERALL SHOW
Some okay wrestling. Rubix/Sonjay was good and Joe/Bully was totally solid. Then there was some bad wrestling like Anderson/RVD and some bad segments like anything with Dixie. It's a weird mix of good stuff held back by some just plain stupid stuff, which I feel like I've been saying forever. I will say the Dixie/AJ stuff is a Tijuana Donkey Show reference away from being hilariously entertaining in a horrible way.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe they are still doing Anderson vs RVD matches. They are always a mess and have wrestled like 500 times now.

    ReplyDelete